Natural Feeding for Dogs
- Never give dogs hot or very cold food. Hot food damages the gastrointestinal system and can cause cancer. The pooches are indeed, wisely refuse to touch hot or very cold food.
- Chewing bones improve jaw structure and promote the strength and the length of the jaw. When fed raw, bones act as canine toothbrush.
- Greens are essential to health. Make sure that the leaves are finely chopped as dogs have difficulty in digesting cellulose.
- My dachshunds love to eat raw vegetables, especially carrots. Carrots aid formation of tooth enamel and are good for the eyes. Carrots also cleanse blood and expel worms. They eat many varieties of fruits; banana, mango, apple, water melon, and sometimes even mandarins!
- Organic Rice, corns, oats, barley provide all essential minerals, majority of vitamins and the carbohydrates.
- Milk is not a natural food for the dogs, especially long-life milk. Buttermilk is an excellent blood cooling food the dogs love. Fresh white cheese or cottage cheese and yoghurt are usually very acceptable that the most dogs enjoy.
- It’s said that garlic and onions are toxic to the dogs as they contain thiosulphate and it may give rise to anemia. However, I add spices like turmeric, cayenne, fenugreek, fennels to improve their health.
- Add a teaspoon of oil, specifically sesame, coconut or sun flower oil to provide essential fatty acids in the diet. The secret is they love ghee!
- Fresh grated coconut and sesame seeds are excellent natural add-ons to the meals that the dogs and cats thoroughly enjoy. They are rich in digestible oils and fiber.
- They love dog treats. Chemical-free, whole-grain health biscuits are always better to please your pooch!
- Provide plenty of fresh drinking water throughout the day.
- Avoid plastic food bowls.
- Fasting –
Every puppy after weaning should cleanse its internal organs by fast on plain water. A puppy should never be coaxed or tempted to eat.
A puppy over four months should have a half-day fast, one day per week; a whole-day fast, one day per month.
Every adult a weekly one-day fast.
- Encourage them to eat grass and do not prevent puppies from eating earth as it’s natural to carnivores.
Dr. Indunil Weerarathne
07 March 2015
Related: Cute Pet Videos